About Department of Science & Technology
India is one of the top-ranking countries in the field of basic research. Indian Science has come to be regarded as one of the most powerful instruments of growth and development, especially in the emerging scenario and competitive economy. In the wake of the recent developments and the new demands that are being placed on the S&T system, it is necessary for us to embark on some major science projects which have relevance to national needs and which will also be relevant for tomorrow's technology. The Department of Science & Technology plays a pivotal role in promotion of science & technology in the country. The department has wide ranging activities from promoting high end basic research and development of cutting edge technologies on one hand to service the technological requirements of the common man through development of appropriate skills and technologies on the other.
National Science & Technology Management Information System (NSTMIS)
The National Science and Technology Management Information System (NSTMIS), a division of Department of Science and Technology (DST) is nodally responsible for collection, collation, analysis and dissemination of information on resources devoted to S&T activities in the country.
NSTMIS undertakes broadly two types of research activities:
- In-house Research.
- Sponsored Research.
1. In-house Research
- National Survey on resources devoted to S&T activities in the country.
- National Level database on Extramural (sponsored) R&D projects.
As an outcome of above in-house research, NSTMIS brings out the following publications.
- Research and Development Statistics
- Research and Development in Industry
- S&T Data Book
- Directory of R&D Institutions
- Directory of Extramural R&D Projects
2. Sponsored Research
While some of the valuable basic data on input resources into S&T activities were processed in -house, it was felt necessary to involve other interested individuals/organisations to take up studies in the sponsored project mode in order to convert this activity into a very comprehensive and cohesive plan programme to make available science and technology indicators.
The objectives of the sponsored Research Programme are:
- Creation, Updation and Dissemination of databases on R&D resources, projects, institutions, experts, equipments, other infrastructure facilities.
Development of S&T indicators
- Studying aspects related to R&D management and policy issues.
- Estimation of short term and long term requirement of different categories of scientific manpower particularly in new emerging areas of S&T.
- Studying the mismatch between employment and output of S&T personnel.
- Supporting R&D projects on various S&T dimensions.